When I return home everyday from work, I tell myself that I will do chores as much as possible i.e. ironing, cleaning, doing last night’s dishes, mopping the sticky floor and cooking.
I also need to give the kids some mummy’s attention. This one doesn’t feel like a chore but I do struggle to stay consistent.
One day, I’ll sit down with my kids, reading story books, checking A’s homework, chatting and playing with them. We play house – I’ll be the Sonic while H will play Amy (the hedgehog characters) while A likes to ask me to watch Minecraft on Youtube with him.
Another day, I’m just too tired and will be done early on the bed if not so busy doing chores with the tiger face – unapproachable. The typical hypo maniac single mother.
What I really want to do is just sit back on my sofa, watch some Youtube videos while having a cup of coffee, listen to my favorite podcast, write a poem and finish my blog’s draft. Go to sleep early.
I always arrive home 7:30 pm every day. It’s only two hours and a half before the kids’ bedtime.
To be honest, most of the time I end up doing the fun things (Youtube, podcast, poem, and blog) than the more important things (chores). As a result, my house becomes a shipwreck and my kids will make it worse. I sleep late and nothing gets done.
I will regret all the fun things and will have to do catching up at my best the next day.
However three days later, I’ll be back with the bad habits. So, I tell myself that I need to find ways to be productive with the chores to have more time for my ‘fun’ stuff. What do I do?
I start to multitask.
- Washing the dishes while listening to the podcast.
- Having my coffee while teaching my kids to read or doing art with them.
- Cleaning, doing laundry and cooking at the same time.
- Finishing the blog draft while listening to podcast.
- Sometimes I write a poem while mopping the floor.
- Planning, making groceries and to do list while roaming in and out my house.
- Washing the dishes become my favourite chore now. Doing the laundry too, thanks to the podcast.
- Once I start to associate coffee session with spending time with my kids, I find myself looking forward to sitting down with them.
- No comment on this, because they are all the ‘chores’ categories at one time. I believe all the housewives and mothers without maid are experts on this.
- Two ‘fun’ in a seating but truly not recommended. I later found this to be non-productive and less efficient because I can’t stay focus on my writing while trying to consume content from the podcast at the same time. Both will be done very poorly.
- This is easy, I’ll just stick a paper on the wall and start to imagine things and get the creative juices flowing. I will stop once in a while to write some words on the wall but I can’t stand forever with the mop stick in one hand.
- Same as the above
Not everything can be multi-tasked because some combinations of things will result to inefficiency and will just drive you crazy. By associating some fun with chores/work/routine/mundane things, it will help you to stay motivated and consistent. More things get done, insyaAllah. That’s all my sharing for today. I’m in the quest to better and more productive and will continue to share my journey on this blog. Stay tuned!